Proceed north to the red "X" at the foot of the large concrete
plot that houses the remains of the Elmore Chase family, as well
as the stone for Henry Rice.
Professor Elmore Chase came to Fair Oaks from New
Mexico around 1900. He founded Four Gables Academy, a
fine boarding school, and on the south side of Winding Way
between Illinois and Martsmith. He was also an orchardist
and founded Four Gables Orchards at the same location.
This orchard and packinghouse continued for many years
under various ownerships, and the building was Carpenter’s
Rest Home from at least 1960 to the 1970s, when it burned.
He is buried here with his wife, Malvina Chase, and
presumably his daughter, Daisy.
Below, near the center of photo is Elmore Chase (the gentleman
with the beard) arriving on the
train at Folsom. Below is also Chase Academy at Four
At the foot of the Chase area is a lone stone, Henry Rice.
It is unclear how he got separated from Immer, or Dewitt
who is farther down
the hill. We speculate that either Henry or Immer or both got
moved due to drainage problems.