Fair Oaks Historical Society

Virtual Walking Tour

Dredging and the Rock Crushing Plant

All along both banks of the river at Fair Oaks are signs of the gold dredgers which mined the last gold from the river bottoms from 1899 to the mid-1950s. In 1908 the rock crushing plant was built on the south side of the river near the train station to process the cobble left behind from the dredgers. The crushed rock was used by the railroads as gravel beds for railroad tracks. Later, the rock was used in dams, roads, bridges and overpasses. For a storyboard display of this operation, drop by the History Center.