At the intersection of Capitola and Bridge streets, on the
southeast corner, is the Mayberry house. Built in about 1905
by a Sacramento banker as a summer retreat, the house was
the site of a few famous Fair Oaks marriages. In the 1930’s
the house became the residence of Wade “Bill” Mayberry, the
Stationmaster of the Fair Oaks train station just across the old
Fair Oaks Bridge. He lived there until the 1950’s when the
property was sold and fell into disrepair. We all thought the
house would be razed and an infill development constructed,
but to our delight a contractor from El Dorado Hills bought the
property and is restoring it. He and his wife are empty-nesters
who wanted a small house close to the Fair Oaks Village.
Proceed down Bridge street to the Save the Bluffs Plaza. Look
around, view the displays, and then walk out to the center of
the old Fair Oaks bridge.