At the top of the hill on Capitola on the north side was the
Stephen Keiffer home, torn down for development in the 1970's.
Keiffer, a civil engineer in Chicago, was hired by the
developers of Fair Oaks in mid 1895 to lay out the town and
produce all the maps necessary for approval of the
development by the County. He named all the streets and
produced the 1900 map widely used by the Colony
salespeople. He went on to become the Chief Manager and
Engineer for the North Fork Ditch Company, the main water
supplier for eastern Sacramento County. When he first
arrived in Fair Oaks, he was only 26 years old.