In 1924, Bill Andrews opened the Plaza Service
Station at the north east corner of Park Drive and Fair Oaks Blvd.
Mr. Andrews worked at the station
for about 14 years, through 1938. The large double
doors in the rear of the station housed the Fair Oaks volunteer
fire department trucks. At the height of the Great Depression,
Mr. Andrews lamented that his station made a profit of only $90
for the whole of 1933. Despite his financial situation, he
cooked stew and bread at the service station, and after other restaurants
in town were forced to close, he continued to serve food to people passing through
Fair Oaks for free.
The station either burned or was torn down in the 1950's
and the new small building was constructed. Through about 1961, this site
had become Billís Lawnmower Service and Saw Shop. After that it was the
office of a succession of attorneys until sometime after 1993.
The Fair Oaks Chamber of Commerce moved in sometime after that and
stayed there until several years ago when it became an antique and
Continue north on Fair Oaks Blvd. until you get to the Town House Building.